Saturday, January 03, 2015

The Trash Bike

The Trash Bike:
Chapter One:

I spend a lot of time thinking about bicycles. So, it's strange when a bicycle just appears out of my thoughts and into real life, which is exactly what happened with the case of this bicycle. I found it in the trash outside of an apartment in Brooklyn which was the brief home of a slightly less brief girlfriend.

I did a double take, and I immediately knew what it was. An old lugged Trek, from when Trek was a small company and they were making every bike by hand in the USA. It was missing a front wheel. But it looked mostly there. Luckily, I had my car, so I picked it up and threw it in the back. Then we went back into the house and found a guy spray painting a bike. He had a Schwinn from the 1970s. I asked him about the Trek and he said it was his. He was throwing it out because he got a Schwinn, which he was painting green. Then he gave me a front wheel for the bike!
I brought it home and immediately started cleaning it. I went to the local bike shop and spent $30 on one new tire and tube. Then I rode it home. It rode great. The brakes and shifters worked.

So, I started riding it in bad weather. It became my Trash Bike. Then I bought snow tires for it and it became my snow bike. I love this bike in the way pet owners love a stray dog that follows them home and becomes their best companion.


Chapter Two:

So, I have had the Trash Bike for nearly 2 years. I still ride it every day. Most other people in the world drive their car every day and keep a bike for fun on the weekends. But for me, it's the other way around.

I've had a lot of little problems with this bike that make it kind of a pain. Still, it's a great bike, and overall the cost per mile is so low that it would be a waste of time to calculate.

First, I changed the saddle. I added a vintage Brooks that matches the patina / beausage of the bike. The grips were awful too. They were old foam grips. I remember I used to have similar grips on my Huffy Dirt Water which was my bike as a kid and probably the worst bike I've ever owned. The grips collected rain, which made them like gripping a wet towel. Awful. I changed them to Spurcycle Grip Rings, which are super comfy and clever. Of course, being a bad weather bike I had to add fenders. I was thinking of Velo Orange ones, but plastic ones do just fine.

Then I added snow tires. Wow! What a great purchase. They cost around $65 each, but were totally worth it. If you are considering snow tires for your bike, go ahead and get them. Biking in the snow is much, much more satisfying than I could have ever anticipated.

Recently, tragedy struck. I realized the front fork is bent. Of course, the original fork is gracefully curved and lugged and beautiful. I bought a regular run of the mill fork that doesn't match, but I haven't installed it yet. The steering is wobbly right now, which is very bad.

The brakes also got all worn out. I was running original Dia Compe cantilevers, which I really liked. In fact, the old mountain bikes come with really long brake levers. More like Motorcycle or Vespa levers. They're really satisfying to use, and work great even with mittens. I bought some Avid brakes on Ebay but they don't work as well as I thought. So I cannibalized the LeMond and took a Paul Neo-Retro for this bike. Right now I'm running the Avid in front and the Paul on the back.

I went back and forth on the Pauls. At first I really liked the Pauls because they are like jewelry for a bike. They're handmade and look great and custom, etc. But then I couldn't get them adjusted as well as I liked. So, I really didn't care for them any more. Then I learned a bit more about setting them up, and messed with them quite a bit. I tried adjusting the old Dia Compe brakes. Now, I'm back to loving the Paul Brakes. The setup using a 15 mm wrench is super easy compared to an adjustment screw on other cantilevers. I realized I had the straddle cable way too high for a long time (which I had done to clear my Nitto rack). When I set up the Paul brake on the Trash Bike, it was super easy and works relatively great.

The other pain about owning an old bike like this is that the rear spacing is 127 mm. No one makes hubs in this size except – you may have guessed – Paul. I considered ordering one and getting a custom wheel for the back, but instead I just squeezed the old wheel from the Gary Fisher on to this bike. The brakes are not lined up as well as they could be because the chainstays have stretched. But the newer wheel is way lighter than the older wheel, which makes a huge difference considering I often ride 50 miles a week. I debated for a long time whether to get a Sturmey Archer rear huh and wheel. Sturmey Archer makes them in 127 mm spacing. That could be in the cards for the future of this bike.

PROS:
Lugged frame
Sleeper performance and looks
Low bottom bracket
Long wheelbase
Thumb shifters are reliable as it gets
Lots of clearance for fenders, racks

CONS:
Can't find a lugged 1” 26” fork to replace the original.
127mm rear hub spacing
Absolute zero bling factor for non-bike people

IMPORTANT SPECS:
1984 Trek 830.
Color: Red Cherry Maroon
Brakes: were Dia Compe – now Paul Neo-Retro in back, Avid Shorty 4 in front
Wheels: were no-name hubs with Alex rims, now Mavic / Shimano
Tires: Nokian Mount & Ground 1.9” Studded Snow Tires
Fenders: Evo plastic
Saddle: Brooks B67(? Vintage)
Handlebars: Bullmoose (Nitto or ritchey style?)
Grips: Spurcycle Grip Rings
Rear Rack: Nitto Mt Campee 26” (love this)
Lights: Knog Blinders
Luggage: Ortlieb


Alternatives:
Surly Troll - very close in spirit to this bike, but with newer parts
Surly Long Haul Trucker - test rode one and loved it. very common in hip areas.
Kogswell P/R – I've always wanted one of these but they are no longer produced.  Email me if you want to sell me one!
Rivendell - I want one bad but they're expensive!


No comments: