Saturday, January 03, 2015

The New Vespa

 
The New Vespa
2009 Vespa S150:

In 2014, for my birthday, I bought myself a new Vespa. I was still riding my old Vespa P150, or rather, struggling to fix it. I looked at the calendar and realized it had been 10 years of a Vespa P series, so I decided I'll just buy another.

What a difference 30 years makes. Sometimes when riding it, I think this new Vespa is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. But, sometimes I just don't love it and I spend a lot of time thinking about going vintage again.

I've ridden it for less than a year, so I have mixed feelings on it. Check back in 2025 for a 10 year update on this Vespa.

Pros:
No Rust!
Super reliable engine. Piaggio has been making scooters for like 70 years and knows what they're doing.
Electronics all work!
Seat is way more comfy than a vintage P series.
Front disc brake
Acceleration is fantastic – just twist and go!
Electric start is so easy
Little trunk under the seat is actually useful for hoody/padded jacket storage and stuff
Tons of curb appeal – I get lots of compliments and looks from people on the street.

Cons:
High center of gravity
Odd sized front tire (11”) with no spare
Speedo does not light up
No trip odometer
Lots of plastic parts
Little glovebox tray is completely useless
No removable side panels like the P series. Dents and scratches are here to stay.
Luggage hooks are plastic. It would have been really cool if they just kept the exact same metal hook from the PX.
Paint quality could be a bit better. Why not powdercoat from the factory?
Not vintage

Alternatives to Consider:
New Vespa GT series: bigger and faster
Stella
2005 Vespa PX150 – one year only P series reissue
Vintage Lambretta
Vespa 946 – really expensive

No comments: