Saturday, January 03, 2015

The LeMond Poprad: Six years of bike riding.

(October 21, 2013 - riding home from work)

Hey look it's my LeMond! It's been six years with this bike. I'm happy to report I've covered uncountable miles on this bike. I've worn out the pedals, tires, and brake pads completely.

Also, this bike has gone through lots of changes since I first bought it. I put upright bars on it! The On One Mary bars – I love them. I highly recommend it.

I enjoyed the mustache bars for giving the bike a "fighter pilot" type of feel too it, but I'm getting old and I want the upright feel now.  I also ride in a city with constant stop and go traffic.

(Jan 2014 - looking good in the living room)

Important Specs:
Frame: Reynolds 853 Steel. Black with blue graphics.
Handlebars: were Bontrager drops, then Origin 8 tiki / mustache bars, now On One Mary upright cruiser bars
Grips: Spurcycle Grip Rings
Brakes: Paul Neo-Retro Cantilevers
Tires: were Continental Touring 2000 30mm wide – now Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 35mm wide.
Drivetrain: Shimano 105 1x9 speed.
Pedals: VP Vice – love these pedals
Fork: was stock – now Bontrager Aramid Carbon
Fenders: were Planet Bike, then Velo Orange dimpled Honjo copies, now none
Front Rack: Nitto / Rivendell Mark's Rack (also love this) with Wald Basket
Rear Rack: Nitto / Rivendell Campee Big Back Rack (also love this)
Saddle: Brooks B17 Special
Lights: Knog Blinders
Luggage: Ortlieb Downtown bag

PROS:
light frame
very quick handling
all components are high quality and very durable 
looks good and gets compliments from non bike people

CONS:
Often I'm worried about it getting stolen
High bottom bracket
Needs more clearance for fenders
Needs more braze ons for racks

Alternatives:
Salsa Casseroll - no longer made - really liked this bike when I rode it though.
Surly CrossCheck 
Surly Long Haul Trucker
The Trash Bike

No comments: