Monday, October 09, 2006

The Promise Ring - "Electric Pink"

Continuing on with the "Music My Sister Wants to Hear" series, we have the song "Electric Pink" by one of my favorite bands ever, The Promise Ring. I think of The Promise Ring as a very summery band, except for their early stuff like on The Horse Latitudes, which I consider to be a little bit autumnal and nocturnal.

This is one of the songs my sister would hear in the car with me driving. It's off of their EP of the same name, which came out after "Very Emergency" but before "Wood/Water" (both of which I associate with the summertime). Please listen to this in honor of an Indian Summer.

CLICK ON THIS, SISSY!

This disc was really great because it's artwork is almost all just a solid pink block on the cover, but with the song titles in small type at the top. One of the members of The Promise Ring is a graphic designer, so all their albums had fantastic artwork that made you excited to be buying their albums. This EP also included a re-recorded version of the song "American Girl" which was off of their "Boys & Girls" EP, which is an interesting statement in itself. It's kind of self-indulgent, but kind of neat and relaxed. It really lets the band get out their material in a great way. I wish more bands took having fun as seriously as The Promise Ring did.

I live on a small street, with very small shoes but in a big house, with a big wardrobe. I've got the whole world in my hands; it's a small world after all. And there's not much to say on five bucks a day, and there's no other way, so we're just hanging around. For the weekend to come we're all hungry and dumb for Friday. Please don't press that we dress, high heels and loud shoes are a mess step out with quiet feet. I'm pleased to meet; meeting is so hard to do when you're dead. Between a wink and an earthquake there are conversations and complications go on, on, and on I pretend that I understand my hands and the rest are only a test. To be paid to be pressed when we end we will be softly kissed.

Yeah, I feel electric
Pink in the cheeks
We look like animals
Seven days a week
I'm too polite
You're too brief

{There's more of The Promise Ring, including buying their stuff, at www.jadetree.com
I love The Promise Ring so much, I'll probably post more of their stuff soon.}

No comments: