Monday, October 30, 2006

Happy Vespa

Today I got this carburator in the mail. It is what's known as a Vortex carburator. It is a Spaco/Dell'orto style carb modified by a scooterist in California to be more adjustable and to give a bit better performance. I worked on my scooter and put it mostly back together and took it for a spin around the block. It started up and sounded very angry. I believe it was upset because during the two years I have owned it I have always run a 102 main jet, not knowing any better. Now, I know better and have a 116 main jet. That is a big change. It means the Vespa gets a lot more fuel. This carb is designed for a lot more air, thus the scooter's engine is burning a lot more and going faster. I am very pleased with this. A large portion of this pleasure comes from me putting it all back together single-handedly (with some counseling from my housemates, a phone tutorial from Al of Hot Rod Scooters, and more counseling and parts lending from The McCabes). However, after a few blocks the Vespa died and had to be pushed home. It made weird clouds of smoke out of the carburator top that if I were superstitious I would believe would have something to do with halloween. I am sure something small is wrong with it. In any event, the ride around the block was smoother and quicker than ever before.

Also, today I watched The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift and it was pretty awesome.

No comments: