Tuesday, May 15, 2007

THE VERY BEST OF...

A lot of bands that I love are never going to be big. They're on the decline, they've broken up, no one knew them to begin with. It goes like this. But, in my mind they're huge. They're fantastic. And anyone who saw them years ago or even heard of them is rad. They've had superhits stuck in my head for years.

And it's better if this happened for my friends, too. This was the magic of college radio - there were secret superhits that only we knew about. Tons of bands like this: The Dismemberment Plan, The Weakerthans, The Wrens, Ted Leo. Bands that were sort of pop, sort of punk, all indie.

Now, it's been years since I first heard these bands. I feel I should be stopping by Best Buy picking up their "Gold" collections, their best ofs and box sets. But these bands will probably never have best ofs.

That's where I come in. I'm going to put together some best ofs for my favorite bands that will never have their own.

First on the list is Jawbreaker. I'm trying to get Dan into Jawbreaker, so I'm going to pick out my ten favorite songs and see if it works. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Boylanz said...

I've been listening to Jawbreaker since I started studying for finals. It's putting me in a good mindset because my law school is in an old public middle school building. I can't name 10 songs I would include on the mix, but I would put Chemistry on it, for sure.

I took a picture of a sweet beatle for you. I saw it in Sunnyside, Queens.

Zachary Dietl said...

Lately WGSU has been obsessed with this band called "The Teeth." You might have been around for their first release which was an EP. We put a track called "Oh! Bessie" in rotation.

recently their full length "You are my lover now" came out and it's super good. I think they are the kind of band you are talking about.

M. Castawave said...

Hmmm Chemistry was not on my mix, but now can't get out of my head. Liz how about that time you met Blake?


I will check out The Teeth ZD!@

Glass Animal said...

Hey Mike,

Cool thought. I'll see if I can submit a Dismemberment Plan hits collection. Then, our albums can go head to head. But man, just 10 songs? That's gonna be really hard...that means I can't include every song on Emergency & I...

-Mahoney

Glass Animal said...

It's 11 songs:

The Dismemberment Plan Gets Rich
OK, Joke's Over
Ice of Boston
What Do You Want Me to Say (Remix)
Do the Standing Still
You Are Invited
The City
Gyroscope
Face of the Earth
The Other Side
Rusty

If it absolutely had to be 10, I would knock out Rusty and jumble the last 5 songs around a little.

Best,
Mahoney

Boylanz said...

Check out my blog page for a little thing I posted for you.