Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Lucksmiths - "Deep Sea Diving Suit"


The Lucksmiths - "Deep Sea Diving Suit"

In most of The Lucksmiths' songs the singer seems absolutely happy. Sure, there are a few downtempo numbers such as "I Prefer The Twentieth Century" or the last track we heard a few days ago. But, The Lucksmiths are generally accurately considered a "happy" band. However, this track strikes me as very sad.

It is a cover of "Deep Sea Diving Suit" by The Magnetic Fields. Perhaps Tali (the singer/drummer) has some connection to this song other than just to record it for the B-side to "T-Shirt Weather." Maybe the song just sounds like that. I love it because it's such an absurd analogy, but it works so well. I also love the line "There's no point pointing pistols at me now" because when I hear it I hear "pointing pistils" instead, which would be so fitting. What a great song. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/cassrevival/deepsea.zip


You [D]didn't have to say that [G]I'm no good 'cause I know
There's no point pointing pistols at me now I'll just go
I never should have asked you to be kind but I'm slow

I'm sor[Bm]ry, but how can I get t[G]o you
[A]
stuck in my fifty-p[G]ound lead boots, stuck in my[A] deep sea diving suit? [G] [D]

I n[D]ever thought you'd turn [G]on me 'cause you're my best friend
you say I never offered you a thing in the end
and now you wouldn't trust me with a grain of sand

I'm sor[Bm]ry, but how can I get t[G]o you
[
A]
stuck in my fifty-p[G]ound lead boots, stuck in my[A] deep sea diving suit? [G]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have the 7" of T-Shirt Weather and they left it off of there. I can hardly believe it. It's only on the CD EP. I feel more than a little cheated, but I know it's not your fault. Thanks for the song.