Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Favorite Japanese Cars

I've always loved VWs and other European things, but lately I've been really interested in Japanese cars. Here are the ones I love:


Toyota Celica - first generation. Every time I see one of these I like it more and more. My neighbors a block away have one under a tarp. I passed one every day going to work. They look like Mustangs in 2/3 scale. The headlights look awesome. This car just looks fantastic.



Miata - first generation in British racing green. I've always liked Miatas. Ever since I read Kafka on the Shore I wanted one bad. They're rwd. They're dirt cheap. I'm not crazy about convertibles but I love this small car.


Nissan S-Cargo. A freaky psychedelic reinterpretation of a Citroen 2CV delivery van. It's name means "Small Cargo." Also it means snail in french. This car rules.



Nissan Pao. Another one made at the same time by Nissan at their Pike factory. This looks like a Mini, a Renault R5 and a VW Squareback, but made cheap and awesome. This does retro right. This car looks like it's made out of plastic, but it looks 200% better than any new car sold in the USA*. I wish I could rock one of these now.


Toyota Land Cruiser circa late 1970s. How could you not like the original Toyota Land Cruiser? This vehicle is so boxy and awesome. The rear windows are so fantastic. One time in Costa Rica I got picked up hitchhiking by a Land Cruiser like this full of nuns. I've wanted one ever since (the Land Cruiser).

* - maybe new Porsches still look better.

3 comments:

Erwin Calverley said...

Mm, that's a nice set of cars. Have you ever heard of an anime called Initial D? That show had injected a need for speed and Japanese cars among many people... It's a pretty fun racing show, too.

--Erwin Calverley

Unknown said...

Oh, those are indeed fantastic car collections! And that Toyota Celica reminds me of my brother's matchbox collection way back then. They have the same model and color!

@Erwin: That manga series is really cool! It featured some of the Japan-made cars. But sadly, Takumi was beaten by Bunta with his Subaru Impreza. But I think that's how the story should be.

Mae Weitz

Stelle said...

Wow, those models are cool! ^-^ And yes, that Toyota Celica really looks familiar. I found it on my boyfriend's display cabinet! Haha! Anyway, I must agree that this Land Cruiser is awesome. It also makes me think like I was in the military base.

Stelle Courney