Saturday, June 20, 2009

VW: Pointless Love


In May 2009, as a reward for serving me so well as a daily driver, I bought my VW a new ignition system. I purchased the Crane XR-700 Fireball ignition. Basically, this replaces points and condenser with an optical sensor that triggers an electronic computer that makes the spark happen. This is simpler and better because it uses fewer moving parts.

In the last year the points failed a few times; once camping, and twice on my way home at night. I had to get the van towed. Hopefully the VW will be more reliable now. For the time being, I have abandoned the idea of trading it for a BMW.

For more information on this system, click here.

[Where the VW is always hypothetically always parked: the corner of hate and failing. photo by me circa march 2009]

No comments: