Monday, July 24, 2006

Rollfast Bicycles


I recently bought my fourth bicycle ever. Yes, I've owned more scooters than bicycles. Here is my bike riding history:

First: Ross convertible cruiser. 20 inch wheels. Blue. Toptank model. I still own this bike and it hangs in my old "fort" at my parents' house, but is too small for me.
Second: Huffy "Dirt Water" orange. 24 or 26 inch wheels. 18 speed thumb shifters. Horrible bike. Long gone.
Third: Gary Fisher Mamba. 1997 model (I think). Flat grey. Gorgeous bike. 21 speed grip shifters. Double butted chromoly steel. Owned since new. Wheels were stolen a few months ago but I bought wheels off of some dude for $5 and just need new tubes to get back going.

Fourth: Rollfast Cruiser. I bought it about a month ago on a whim.
I love it for numerous reasons.
The paint looks rusty, but it's not. It's orange and faded and original. The decals are there and faded too. A lot of people have seen this bike and said it looks crappy, but I believe it to be a piece of art. That's why I like it. It looks fast standing still and is simple and beautiful.

Rollfast Bicycles was a partnership between the D. P. Harris company of New York City and the H. P. Snyder company of Little Falls, New York, which is where I'm from. I can't afford an Ira Ryan or a Mountain Cycle, the local bikes of now that I lust for, so I got a Rollfast.

I love the dual top tubes on the top top tube (does that make sense?). Most have the dual tube on the lower of the two top tubes. It's gorgeous. I am considering a fixed gear rear wheel for this. Would that make sense? The tires are not original, but are Cheng Shin (for Trac-Shin!) like every other crappy scooter I've owned.

I can't find a picture of a Rollfast like mine anywhere on the internet, so this is the first. I will write and post more pictures of the Rollfast as I ride it and fix it up. It is nice to have a coaster braking bike again.

Here is one of the few articles I could find on Rollfast Bicycles:
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/rollfast.htm

9 comments:

Robert said...

Hey,
I should mention I know someone here in my hometown who happens to have a similar Rollfast bike, albeit a stepthrough (womens). It also has the double down tubes, and painted fenders (blue with white pinstripes). Been in her family since 1966 (her first big bike). She loves it.

Anonymous said...

i just purchased a girl's rollfast at a yard sale, and i think it might be the same model as yours? Do you have any more photos? The one i picked up says "aeroflight" on the chain guard. i will try to take a oic of mine, but i m surprised there isnt more about rollfast on the internet.... driftinluke@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I just obtained a Rollfast spoke wrench. It probably dates from around 1900 as that was the era when riders were first obsessed with wheel tuning. The wrench is similar to the Dudly pattern. "Rollfast" and "Perfect" are embossed on one side, "Made in U.S.A." is the boss on the other side of one jaw handle, with "NO. 080" stamped on the other jaw handle. Specific manufacturer's spoke wrenches aren't found that often. This one brings back fond memories of the new 24-inch Red and White Rollfast given to me in 1948. My life's journeys began in earnest on the Rollfast!

brit said...

I have a RollFast Bike I thinking about selling well in the process.. I'm not sure how I should price it any suggestionS?

It has its original tires which I think need replacing and straws on the wheels, the seat is worn and its a bit rusty.

Any interests or sugesstions?

Unknown said...

hola!soy leonardo de buenos aires argentina,tengo una "rollfast"del año 1966 que adquiri hace unos años atras mi direccion de e-mail es nitro222_55@hotmail.com me encantaria poder dialogar con usted,y si es posible enviarle fotos de mi bicicleta,apesar de la distancia pueda apreciar que aun conserva su originalidad

David said...

I have a black 26 inch mens Rollfast Space Racer similar to yours. Mine is all original (except for the seat) and in great cosmetic shape! These bicycles are very hard to come by and I have only seen three mens Rollfast bikes up close in my entire life!

Anonymous said...

I bought a Rollfast that looks sililar to yours but the stickers are a bit different.The seat tube sticker is white and silver with a red stripe that has the letter r in a red oval.The headbadge sticker is oval,white and silver w/rollfast across the middle.Mine is red,very distressed w/chrome fenders. The sprocket has three rows of circles,decreasing in size as they go towards the crank. Maybe a paint job in the future, but for now I'll keep the distressed look.

Unknown said...

I am with anonymous. I was given a 24" Rollfast a year or so after the war (WW2). It was also red & white. My dad's store sold them. It was Read's Dept Store in Reading, PA at 7th & Penn. I understand they were, at that time, made in Mohnton, PA near Reading. I rode it until 1952 when we moved to Sioux City, Iowa and I got a British bike with a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer transmission. I don't have a Rollfast anymore, but I have a 1946 Indian Chief Motocycle and a 1949 Cushman scooter. Rocky in Arizona (reply to rocheux@yahoo.com-I don't use gmail anymore.)

Johnnyg said...

I have a rollfast wheelie bike...looks great for 50yrs old...fenders, handlebar grips...gold banana seat...everything is there. Original tires as far as i can tell...original everything...found it in a garage that had not been opened for 40 yrs