Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Pine

The Pine

Since I was involved in the music scene in Geneseo, NY, I was also interested in the music scene in Oswego, NY - home to another college of the State University of New York. Although the label located there, Alone Records, might only be loosely associated with the college, I like to imagine that it takes over Oswego and everyone there knows about the bands on Alone Records. Thus, I was browsing their website one night looking for bands to hear, and stumbled upon a track by the group The Pine.

Although I always say I love punk and hardcore, I only recently realized I only like about 1 percent of it. Probably less; but it's that small portion that I love intensely. But then I hear The Pine and I can not escape them. Their self titled record is the hardest record I have bought in the last year. They sound similar to a Rockets and Bluelights cover band composed of members of Still Life with Matthew Good on vocals. They are really heavy, but also very dynamic.

That, and they attempt to only release music on vinyl.

The first song I ever heard by The Pine was a track called "Growing Calm Together." It was taken from one of their newer albums. Here is a link to it. The Pine - "Growing Calm Together"


Then I heard their early stuff, taken from their first full length and first seven inch. Although some of the titles sound more like Linkin Park tracks, they are great and intense and I love them.
The Pine - early tracks

Links:
Alone Records, Oswego NY
http://www.staticpulse.com/pine/releases.html
http://www.heroine.org/index1.html
http://www.gridsector.com/owsla.html

No comments: