Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Replacements reunite.

The Replacements are a great band that started in the early eighties and in my opinion are probably second only to R.E.M. They are famous for their truly great and American rock and roll songs and also their antics (like throwing their original tapes into the Mississippi when they heard their record company wanted to issue their albums on compact disc). They are reuniting, and I am rather excited about it. One of their best and most famous songs is "Can't Hardly Wait" and here are the lyrics. They have a lot of great songs, like "Kiss Me On The Bus," "Alex Chilton" (which I wrote about last year on this blog) and "Achin' To Be" (which Pinhead Gunpowder covered on "Shoot The Moon" - a fantastic record). Paul Westerberg, the singer, has solo work that is really great and is on the pop-emo label Vagrant Records. My favorite solo song of his is "We May Be The Ones" which was a big WGSU hit. Anyway, here's to The Replacements.

"Can't Hardly Wait"

I'll write you a letter tomorrow.
Tonight I can't hold a pen.
Someone's got a stamp that I can borrow.
I promise not to blow the address again.

Lights that flash in the evening, through a crack in the drapes.

Jesus rides beside me
He never buys any smokes
Hurry up, hurry up, ain't you had enough of this stuff?
Ashtray floors, dirty clothes, and filthy jokes

See you're high and lonesome
Try and try and try

Lights that flash in the evening,
Through a hole in the drapes
I'll be home when I'm sleeping
I can't hardly wait

I can't wait. Hardly wait.

No comments: